Sarasota, FL 34232
Examines and makes decisions related to potential exposure/risk for new and renewing insurance contracts within defined authority levels.
- Determine acceptability and verify rating elements for personal lines property insurance applications, endorsements and renewals. Includes following elements:
- Review of property applications and related documents to determine eligibility, insurance to value and rate factor verification
- Review of property inspections and other data to identify hazards
- Make underwriting decisions to accept, refer for underwriting action, or require additional information.
- Effectively manages work items in compliance:
- Time/service standards
- Within established efficiency and quality standards
- Provide exceptional customer service with agents, customers and other company support positions via telephone and written correspondence.
- Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws and company guidelines
- Perform other duties as assigned by underwriting staff and/or management.
- Bachelor's degree or 3 or more years related work experience
- Preferred: Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), AINS, API designations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work productively in a paperless, team environment
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Must have active Florida 4-40 Insurance License
- Problem Solving: Identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner, developing solutions, working well in team environment to problem-solve
- Judgment: Reaching sound conclusions by evaluating data and options for action.
- Communication: Communicating clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations, both orally and written
- Organization: Organizing work and prioritizing tasks
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Underwriter Level 1 = New hire, Less than 2 years in job
Underwriter Level 2 = 2 – 5 years’ experience, meeting performance standards
Underwriter Level 3 = 5 or more years’ experience, meeting performance standards