Senior Disability Representative
Chicago, IL 60604
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To analyze reported claims, determine benefits due and make timely payments and adjustments; to medically manage disability claims; to coordinate investigative efforts and to thoroughly review contested claims; to evaluate and arrange appropriate referral of claims to outside vendors; and to negotiate settlement of claims up to the designated authority level.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes, approves and authorizes assigned claims and determines benefits due pursuant to a disability plan.
- Determines benefits due, makes timely claims payments and adjustments for workers compensation, Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), and other disability offsets.
- Medically manages disability claims ensuring compliance with duration control guidelines and plan provisions.
- Communicates clearly with claimant and client on all aspects of claims process either by phone and/or written correspondence.
- Informs claimants of documentation required to process claims, required time frames, payment information and claims status either by phone, written correspondence and/or claims system.
- Coordinates investigative efforts ensuring appropriateness; provides thorough review of contested claims.
- Evaluates and arranges appropriate referral of claims to outside vendors for surveillance, independent medical evaluation, functional capability evaluation, and/or related disability activities.
- Refers cases as appropriate to supervisor and management.
- Negotiates settlement of claims up to designated authority level.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
When applicable and appropriate, consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Mental: Clear and conceptual thinking ability; excellent judgment, troubleshooting, problem solving, analysis, and discretion; ability to handle work-related stress; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines
Physical: Computer keyboarding, travel as required
Auditory/Visual: Hearing, vision and talking
NOTE: Credit security clearance, confirmed via a background credit check, is required for this position. The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a colleague assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
- Knowledge of ERISA regulations, required offsets and deductions, disability duration and medical management practices and Social Security application procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years benefits or disability claims management experience or successful completion of Disability Representative training required.