Claims Team Lead - Work Comp Claims
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises multiple teams of examiners, single of multiple product line examiners and/or several (minimum seven) technical operations colleagues for a wide span of control; may delegate some duties to others within the unit.
- Identifies and advises management of trends, problems, and issues as well as recommended course of action; informs management of new procedures and ideas for continuous process improvement; and coordinates with management projects for the office.
- Provides technical/jurisdictional direction to examiner reports on claims adjudication.
- Compiles, reviews and analyzes management reports and takes appropriate action.
- Performs quality review on claims in compliance with audit requirements, service contract requirements, and quality standards.
- Acts as second level of appeal for client and claimant issues regarding claim specific, procedural or special requests; implements final disposition of the appeal.
- Reviews reserve amounts on high cost claims and claims over the authority of the individual examiner.
- Monitors third party claims; maintains periodical review of litigated claims, serious vocational rehabilitation claims, questionable claims and sensitive claims as determined by client.
- Maintains contact with the client on claims and promotes a professional client relationship; makes recommendations to client as suggested by the claim status; and provides written resumes of specific claims as requested by client.
- Assures that direct reports are properly licensed in the jurisdictions serviced.
- Ensures claims files are coded correctly and adequate documentation is made by claims examiners.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
- Administers company personnel policies in all areas and follows company staffing standards and training recommendations.
- Interviews, hires and establishes colleague performance development plans; conducts colleague performance discussions.
- Provides support, guidance, leadership and motivation to promote maximum performance.
When applicable and appropriate, consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Mental: Clear and conceptual thinking ability; excellent judgment, troubleshooting, problem solving, analysis, and discretion; ability to handle work-related stress; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines
Physical: Computer keyboarding, travel as required
Auditory/Visual: Hearing, vision and talking
NOTE: Credit security clearance, confirmed via a background credit check, is required for this position. The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a colleague assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Thorough knowledge of claims management processes and procedures for multiple product lines • Licenses as required
- Excellent oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Leadership/management/motivational skills
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Six (6) years claims experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Two (2) years claims supervisor experience preferred.
- Ability to meet or exceed Service Expectations